Thursday, June 15, 2006

Santa Hat

For the longest time, I've wanted a Santa Hat.

A while back, someone held a contest on the tip-it message boards and the top prize was a santa hat. One had to write a story using innumerable criteria laid out by the contest organizer. I put together what I thought for sure would be the winning tale, posted it, and waited for the contest to end so I could collect my coveted prize. Only a day or two before the contest ended, tip-it shut it down because it was considered trading real world items (stories) for Runescape items (santa hat, cash, etc).

I grumbled, pouted, and moaned before I eventually decided that tip-it was right to shut the contest down. Anyhow, recently I decided that a santa hat would be mine and that I'd do whatever it took to get one.

Starting with about 1.5 mil, I began buying various treasure trail items. I bought trimmed wizard robes of all varieties low and then sold high. As I accrued cash, I added zamorak pages, black cavaliers, ranger boots, berets, etc to my repetoire. Things were going ok, I was making decent money and then construction was introduced into the game.

The Runescape economy crashed.

As quickly as I could, I liquidated all of my assets. I quickly realized that merchanting trail items was too risky and time consuming considering the profit to be made.

At some point, I noticed that yew prices had fallen drastically from the formerly standard 300ea. I was able to buy yews for 200 to 210ea and then sell for 250ea in quantities of 1000. I spent every cent I had on yews, sold them all, and then repeated until I had enough for my santa.

Goal accomplished.

I've noticed that the question, "How do I make money?" appears with great frequency on the tip-it forums. For p2pers, the answer to that question is easy.

  • Run laws on world 66.
  • Pick flax and spin it into strings.
  • Buy water filled vials in Ardougne.
  • Collect snape grass near the crafting guild.
  • Buy just about anything from f2pers at a low rate and then sell it (if commodities, buy in bulk) to p2pers using the official Runescape forums.
I could go on and on (and maybe I'll add more ideas later), but I think you get the idea.

When f2p players ask the same question, the answer is not so easy.
  • Buy coal and iron cheaply and then sell in bulk.
  • Buy coal and iron cheaply, make into steel bars, and then sell.
  • Run airs on world 16.
Um.. Hmm.. Other ideas such as willows and feathers are so small-time. Selling items in bulk to p2pers seems difficult as f2pers only have read access to the official forums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home