Monday, March 20, 2006

The Blast Furnace

A bunch of my friends decided to organize a visit the Blast Furnace this past weekend. I had never been, but I was anxious to check the place out. My smithing was only 50 and I had been told that 60 is required if you want to smelt and smith bars for free. I went on an absolute smelting / smithing rampage (gold ore with goldsmithing gauntlets can't be beat!), and after many hours at Port Phasmatys, I finally attained 60 smithing.

Feeling rather smithed out, I was finally ready for the furnace. On the big day, everybody was mulling around the furnace, doing their own thing. I hadn't read up on the furnace like I should have so I just started pumping away. Parts would break and I'd fix them. Sometimes I'd stand at the guage and bark out the colors. I had no idea what I was doing. Oh yeah, and there was the "coke". I'd shovel some coke from one place and deposit it into another. Whatever! After frantically running around doing these activities for a couple of hours, I finally got the bright idea of actualy putting some ore into the contraption. Woah, cool, I ended up with bars and made steel knives. Finally, I had the thing figured out.

I'd sell 21 coal to the dwarf who deals in ores and then buy it back. I'd deposit the coal on the conveyor and then do the same with iron (sell 21, buy 21, deposit).

I'd jump on the bike and pedal until my ore plopped into the furnace.

I'd shovel a few shovel-fulls of coke from one container to the other.

I'd pump and repair for a while.

I'd full a bucket with some water and then use it on the bar dispensor.

I'd grab my bars and smith them into steel knives.

That's really all there is to it. I realize that my fumbling-in-the-dark first attempt at the Blast Furnace was highly inefficient.

Post Blast Furnace trip, I decided that it'd be a good idea to read a guide. The guide over at RuneHQ ( http://www.runehq.com/RHQMiniQuestsView.php?id=00579 ) was very, very informative. There are some steps in the guide that detail how to smith and then alch steel plates at the furnace, I think I'll give them a shot tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home